Saturday, July 20, 2013

Zero Waste Traveling: Preparation

Attempting to reduce your trash output involves a bit of planning especially with traveling. So here's a rundown of my preparation. Hoping this will minimize my impact on my travels for the next two weeks if only a little.

So first of all, I'm flying to meet my father up north for a road trip. I don't want to check a bag, and I'm trying to pack light. So as we all know, can't bring liquids over 2 ounces on a plane (or something like that). When you go through security, all liquids must be in a plastic bag and must be removed from your luggage. So to avoid use of a plastic bag, I'm using my mesh produce bags to store my tightly sealed liquids. I also use reusable little bottles for my shampoo/conditioner etc rather than buying disposable little travel sized bottles.

To avoid buying a drink or using the little plastic cups they give you on the plane, I am of course bringing my reusable water bottle which will be utilized the entire trip. I'm not sure what to do about food since I can't bring food through security. But if I get hungry, I'll try to find whatever option produces the least trash.

I'm bringing some extra reusable bags as well. And then I also am bringing some powdered laundry detergent that I made, so we don't have to use single use detergent at laundromats.

So here's the small amount of preperation I've done. Hoping this will help.

I'll report back in two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment